English Heritage sites near Rowington Parish

Kenilworth Castle and Elizabethan Garden

KENILWORTH CASTLE AND ELIZABETHAN GARDEN

6 miles from Rowington Parish

Once home to Robert Dudley, the great love of Queen Elizabeth I. Today you can walk in the beautifully recreated Elizabethan garden and marvel at the mighty Norman keep.

J. W. Evans Silver Factory

J. W. EVANS SILVER FACTORY

15 miles from Rowington Parish

Established in 1881, J. W. Evans is one of the most complete surviving historic factories in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.

Halesowen Abbey

HALESOWEN ABBEY

17 miles from Rowington Parish

Remains of abbey founded by King John in the 13th century.

Rollright Stones

ROLLRIGHT STONES

24 miles from Rowington Parish

Traditionally a monarch and his courtiers petrified by a witch, the Rollright Stones consist of three groups: the King's Men stone circle; the Whispering Knights burial chamber; and the single King Stone. They span nearly 2,000 years of Neolithic and Bronze Age development.

Wall Roman Site

WALL ROMAN SITE

25 miles from Rowington Parish

Wall was an important staging post on Watling Street, the Roman military road to North Wales. It provided overnight accommodation for travelling Roman officials and imperial messengers.

Hailes Abbey

HAILES ABBEY

25 miles from Rowington Parish

Founded by the Earl of Cornwall in thanks for surviving a shipwreck. It housed a renowned relic, ‘the Holy Blood of Hailes’: allegedly a phial of Christ’s blood. Great picnic spot. Audio tours.


Churches in Rowington Parish

Rowington with Lowsonford - St. Laurence

Old Warwick Road, Rowington Rowington Warwick
https://www.facebook.com/stlcrw

A SHORT GUIDE TO ST LAURENCE CHURCH ROWINGTON

 

Churchyard

The entrance to the churchyard is on the west side by single and double gates, which were late Victorian but have recently been replaced in the same style and design. The parish war memorial stands on the west boundary, but there are no memorials or graves of note. The dominant feature of the entrance is the yew trees which have been clipped into the shape of domes.

 

History

The architecture of the church has developed over the centuries. It probably dates from the early 12th Century, with the first written record of a church at Rowington contained in a deed of 1157. The nave north wall is Norman; in the 1280s it was given a new west wall and considerably widened southwards. The tower was built in c1300 followed shortly after by the Chancel which in 1490 was given new south windows. A Chantry Chapel was added on the north side of the Chancel in the 1400s, this was incorporated into the north aisle in 1554. The Lady Chapel was created in 1960 when the Chancel screen was moved across to the north aisle.

 

Interior

In 1872, the interior of the church was given a complete restoration by GF Bodley. Much of the early work and fittings were removed, though some of the furniture remains: a medieval alms box carved from a single piece of oak; a Norman tub type font; a rare 15th century stone pulpit; the communion rail dating from 1682 and on the high altar, a refectory table derived from the original Elizabethan. The body of the church also contains a small altar with a fossil marble top, given by Reverend G Weale in 1797.

 

The pews, lecterns, screen, vestry and altar cross all date from the restoration. The painted ceiling of the north aisle is all that remains of the highly decorative work.

The organ dates from the early 1960's and is by Compton in a case dated 1906.

 

A prayer corner was set up next to the Lady Chapel in 2011, in memory of John Hibbs, a member of the congregation. Here you may light a candle, remember, pray for and talk to loved ones and friends who have died.  

 

 

 

Exterior

The church is notable for its central tower and the ‘Christ in Glory' stained glass window which dominates the west end of the church. The modern porch was added on the south side in 1906, replacing the brick and timber porch which was demolished during the restoration in 1872. Also on the south side is a small door which leads into the Chancel. The red sandstone on the top course of the stonework was a gift from Mary 1 and came from Kenilworth Priory. Beside the north door is a holy water stoop.

 

Windows

There is some lovely stained glass in the windows which include two designed by William Kemp. The east window dates from the 1872 restoration and on the south side of the chancel is a small window filled with fragments of medieval glass.

 

‘Christ in Glory' millennium window

The stained glass in the west window was commissioned to celebrate the new millennium in 2000. The subject is ‘Christ in Glory' which was designed and executed by the artist Graeme Wilson, to reflect something of the spirit of the Church and the local area, known as the Forest of Arden.

 

The window is dominated by the central figure of the Risen Christ. Unusually, he is depicted within a double ‘aureole' - that of the perfectly circular, rising Easter sun, together with a geometric spiral formation based on the pentagon. Also in this composition, the spiral formation, with its so-called ‘Divine Proportion' is a symbol of spiritual growth and rebirth both in mankind and throughout creation. There is much reference to nature, flowers, foliage and the night sky bringing together the local - Shakespeare, Flowers, Forest of Arden, and St Laurence interior - with the universal.

 

Tower

The tower holds six bells in a steel frame. The oldest dates from 1609 with the newest added in 1959. It also houses a clock, with works which date from about 1756. On the top of the tower is a weather vane consisting of a copper fan in the shape of a boar's head, which may date from about 1700.

 

Rowington Band of Bell ringers

The bells of St Laurence are now rung regularly by the Rowington Band of Bell ringers for special church services and weddings. The band meets every Wednesday and Friday evening and is always looking for new ringers. No experience is necessary, expert teaching can be arranged.

 

If you are interested in joining, please contact Graham Hames 

St Laurence Church Rowington, CV35 7AB                                                                                

St Luke

Pubs in Rowington Parish

Cock Horse

Old Warwick Road (B4439), Rowington, CV35 7AA

This classic country pub closed towards the end of 2012, and was converted to a private house.
Fleur de Lys

Lapworth Street, Lowsonford, B95 5HJ
(01564) 782431
thefleur.co.uk/

Rambling country pub in a building dating to 17th century - beware low beams! There are several separate rooms and numerous tables, chairs and settles. Open fires give it a welcoming feel; good food, including an interesting selection of pi...
Navigation

Old Warwick Road, Lapworth, B94 6NA
(01564) 783337
navigationlapworth.co.uk

A popular pub with a garden that adjoins the Grand Union Canal. The original flagstone floored bar, complete with wood-burning stove, has a very traditional feel and there is a small, comfortable lounge to one side. A sympathetic extension...
Rowington Club

Rowington Green, Rowington, CV35 7DB
(01564) 782087

This is a local community club in an idyllic location, overlooking the village cricket club. Day membership is allowed for a nominal fee, and this is waived for card-carrying members of CAMRA and at numerous public events. Pool and darts ar...
Tom o'the Wood

Finwood Road, Rowington, CV35 7DH
(01564) 782252
tomothewood.co.uk/index

Modernised 18th century canal-side pub, named after a local corn mill. Located in a rural setting between Lapworth and Rowington, the pub overlooks the Grand Union Canal. Heavily into food, which is served in either the conservatory restaur...